Video editing is a process of editing and manipulating the video and images in the desired sequence. Editing includes trimming, adding transitions and applying effects on videos. By doing so, required output emerges. It is a part of a post-production process.
Editing is like killing your story and then very slowly bringing it back to life.
Types Of Video Editing –
There are 5 types of video editing –
- Linear Video Editing – It is the editing of video images in a predetermined sequence. For editing Video Tapes, this technique is very useful.
- Non-linear Video Editing System (NLE) – It is the editing where original content is not modified. Editing is done on specialized editing software like Final Cut Pro (FCP), Adobe Premiere Pro, Avid etc.
- Offline Editing – It is the editing where the editor copies the footage from an original source. Then, edits the copy without affecting the original raw footage.
- Online Editing – It is the editing of video at the final stage of production. After offline video editing, this technique comes into play.
- Vision Mixing – It is the process to directly cut live feed coming from multiple cameras. It is competent to cut the live television and video production footage in real time. Example of it is live musical concert, cricket match, etc.
It primarily helps filmmakers and editors to cut out unwanted footage. Also it helps to add necessary footage to the sequence. We can give transitions and effects for better visual output. Basically, It helps filmmakers and editors to increase or decrease the length of the footage.
In conclusion, Video editing is one of the useful technique which helps filmmakers to cut down unnecessary footage. It helps to look the final video better by adding effects and transitions, if needed. People use it for films, short films, ad films, personal videos, etc. Furthermore, it is also a great career option. By learning the fundamentals of editing and applications, one can build a great career in video editing department.
Writer: Aakash Solanki